Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

gastric bypass / HIV / impact on treatment / safety

Hi Dr, Not a question but a follow up of one I asked and you kindly replied to.

I have since had a gastric bypass (early september), and am very happy to say that my viral loads have remained undetectable following surgery (on Genvoya). My HIV specialists were sublime in providing not just reassurance to the GB surgery team in terms of the management and risks involved with the HIV side, but also in providing a period of higher intensity follow up of the relevant HIV parameters. I've since lost 37kg, am now well in the 'healthy' weight range, and am feeling fab.

For those HIV+ struggeling with overweight, I hope they can find some reassurance that weight reduction surgery is an option.

Yours, x

Hello X and thanks for posting.

It's wonderful to hear that your surgery went well; that your viral load has remained suppressed and that you've lost an amazing 37 kg.

Obesity is a problem of increasing significance among people living with HIV, and I agree with you that for those in whom diet, nutrition and exercise have failed to reduce weight to safe levels, surgical options can be very effective.

Be well and happy holidays, BY

truvada
Tattoo for PLHIV