Atripla I is it good PEP medication

I was recently exposed to hiv person and I am taking attipla for 30 days is it the right meds.the hiv positive person takes the same drug and is undetectable.Am I infected.?Will I be ok?

Hello and thanks for posting.

You'll be fine. Though you've not described your HIV testing, I'd say that this exposure would not result in HIV infection.

If the person that you were exposed to was on Atripla and had an undetectable viral load, there is no risk of HIV infection (even if a condom wasn't used). We call this U=U, or undetectable equals untransmittable.

While this is a fact that is underappreciated by health care providers and the community alike, a growing number of medical and civil society organizations have embraced U=U.

Regarding Atripla for post-exposure prophylaxis, it isn't generally recommended for PEP here in the US, but is used in many countries. The fact that your contact was on Atripla would make it a reasonable choice (excepting the U=U comment above), but the efavirenz component of Atripla is associated with greater risks of side effects and the integrase inhibitors that we use here. Moreover, the most commonly transmitted viral drug resistance is generally resistant to the NNRTI class of medications (including efavirenz).

Should you have ongoing HIV exposure risks, you should ask your healthcare providers if pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) with once-daily Truvada is right for you. It's very highly effective in preventing HIV infection among people at risk, and strongly recommended for such people here in the US and by the World Health Organization.

I hope that's helpful, BY

Should We Expect our Meds to Eventually Stop Working?
Life expectancy vs quality of life.