ARVs, alcohol and the holidays

Hello, Dr. I just have started taking PEP - Tenofovir and Lamivudina + Dolutegravir. The problem is that Christmas and New Year's are coming, and I would like to drink with my family and friends. The question is: can I drink alcohol during this month or it will reduce the efectiveness of the treatment?

Second question: the 28 days of tretament will end on January 1st. Would it be ok if I took the medicine until december 30th (two days before), so I can drink on New Year's party? I would complete 26 days treatment. Would it be ok?

Thank you.

Hello and thanks for posting.

In this holiday season, your question about alcohol and HIV medications is relevant.

The effectiveness of HIV medications (whether for treatment, PrEP or PEP) is not affected by your favorite holiday beverage. There are no particular drug-drug interactions between antiretroviral meds and alcohol. I would not recommend shortening your PEP treatment duration because of this concern.

So raise a glass with me to good health and the end of the AIDS epidemic. BY

SGPT high level
Late in consuming "artipla"