PrEP & General Anesthesia

Dear TheBody members,

I am having a septorhinoplasty on Friday this week and Im currently on prep (Isentress 400mg and Truvada 200mg), I was wondering whether these drugs had any interactions with general anesthesia?

Please advise on whether it would be ok to continue this or to halt it for a few days. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Hello and thanks for posting.

Though the specifics of your anesthesia are important to answer your question about drug interactions with HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis or PrEP. Are you really taking both Truvada and Isentress for PrEP, or is it for post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP)? Isentress would generally be reserved for the later, while Truvada alone is adequate (and FDA-approved) for PrEP.

Fortunately, neither Truvada or Isentress generally have significant drug-drug interactions, so on first principal, I don't think this will be a problem.

In addition, the most important and clinically pragmatic thing to do is to let your surgeon and anesthesiologist know about all of your medical conditions and medications that you're taking. That's the best way to avoid having unwanted and unintended consequences of drug-drug interactions.

Be well, BY

simastatin with complera?
Vaccine