Genvoya

Hello Doc.

I'm taking Genvoya for almost 2 years, I haven't had any problems so far, by the way, about 3 month since I started with it I became undetectable.

Now my question is, some times I do not take the medicine at the same time every day (but never missed a dose) I have a range to take it from 12:30PM to 2:30PM, but some times I just forgot take it and when I realized it is already 4:30PM or 5:00PM (time I finish work)... Do you think because of that I could develop a resistance to Genvoya components??

Hello and thanks for posting.

Genvoya is one of the US (and other country's) recommended initial treatments for HIV infection. The fact that you've maintained a suppressed viral load for nearly two years is proof that you've done an excellent job of more than adequate adherence to your medications.

With current modern HIV treatment, strict timing of your medications is not required- indeed, completely missing upwards of 10% of medications, though not recommended, appears not to be associated with an increased risk of developing drug resistant virus.

Based on this, you should be readily be able to figure that taking your Genvoya 2 or 3, or even 4-6 hours later (or earlier) than your usual dosing time will have no effect on viral suppression or viral drug resistance.

I counsel my patients not to over think (or burden themselves) with the need to constantly watch the clock over their medication dosing. The concept is not to let HIV define every moment of their lives, rather, that today's meds can simply be taken (usually) once-daily, and other than that brief time when it's important to take pill(s), that you can get on with all the wonderful things that life, and health offer.

I hope that's helpful. BY

Cd4 count good , percent is low
Viraday and anxiety