PEP even worth it?

Hi Doc. I was recently the victim of sexual assault. I do not know anything about the other person whom I had unprotected sex with. It has been 5.5 worrisome days and I was just able to receive zidovudine. My OBGYN is telling me/pressuring I should still take it (so if I did have exposure, it will stop reproducing). I am apprehensive given the side effects and the time that has lapsed since the recommended 72 hour window. My baseline blood work was healthy, but can you advise the pros/cons at this point?

Hello and thanks for posting.

Sorry to learn of your sexual assault. You should know that contrary to a common misconception, that any single sexual exposure to HIV does not carry high risk of infection. So while understandably worrisome, your question relates to medical interventions to lower the risk after a low probability event (<1%). Moreover, if the assailant was HIV+, and was on treatment, the risk is much lower yet; and if the assailant had an undetectable HIV viral load in blood, there should be no risk of HIV infection.

HIV post-exposure prophylaxis can be very effective in preventing infection. Unfortunately, because you started on PEP outside of the 72 hour window for effectiveness, PEP (even if it were a complete 2- or 3-drug regimen) would have little benefit.

Because of the sometimes difficult side effects os zidovudine (AZT) and this timing issue, I'd think that the pro/con balance is decidedly in the con side.

Best of health to you, BY

Truvada/Tivicay
am on truvada and edurant