Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

New "diet" doubt

Oct 11, 2017

Doctor Young, Ive been on Kaletra + Tenofovir/Lamivudine for 10 years. Now, my health care provider wants to replace Kaletra by another PI. I have two options: Prezista/Norvir (600/100 mg) once a day or Atazanavir/Norvir (forgot the dosage). The Tenofovir/Lamivudine continues because of HBV co-infection. What choice you think its the better one?

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for posting.

It's reasonable to consider switching from Kaletra to more modern boosted protease inhibitors: they're far better tolerated.

Of the two, I favor the darunavir (Prezista, also coformulated in Prezcobix) over atazanavir. This is reflected in current US treatment guidelines where the former is a component of recommended initial regimens, and the later is not.

You've not mentioned if there's any concerns about viral drug resistance, but this situation also favors darunavir. Know that the dosing of Prezista is different if you have virus with protease inhibitor resistance- it's once daily for drug sensitive virus, and twice-daily for certain resistant viruses.

I hope that's helpful. BY

Previous
Do I need to go on PEP if I have been on PREP for months
Next
Truvada/Tivicay

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.