health

I was diagnosed hiv positive in 2004. In 2009 my cd4 was 1116/ul . Since then till now(2017) I am not on any medication but my cd4 has dropped to 536c/ul. I am afraid that it may drop as time goes on. What should I do to prevent it from droping down? Can bactrim tab be of help?

Hello and thanks for posting.

Assuming that your CD4 count drop is confirmed (or if it's accompanied by a similar drop in your CD4 percentage), then this decline is documentation of immune injury caused by HIV.

Though you've gone a very long time without HIV medications (and should be viewed as fortunate), the only scientifically proven way to maintain or restore your immune health is to start, and be adherent to antiretroviral treatment (ART). Today's ART is exceptionally well tolerated by the vast majority of people, prevents serious illness, and once your virus is suppressed, eliminates the risk of transmission of HIV to others.

Because of the results of large, international clinical trials, ART is now recommended for all people living with HIV, irrespective of CD4 count or the presence or absence of clinical symptoms. Other treatments like Bactrim (trimethoprim/sulfa) don't stop the virus, they only prevent or treat certain types of infections.

I hope that's helpful, BY

Meth and my viral load
Two copies of CCR5 gene-OK to stop medicine?