Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Could I be taking to many classes of meds?

Aug 29, 2017

After failing first class of meds in the late 90s I have kept a non-detectable V load, but recently my doctor despite me having years of perfect blood work added descovy which is a class I once was resistant to. I'm presently taking Prezcobix, Isentress, Intellence, and now Descovy. Would it have been better to just leave me on first 3 drugs since I have long had no VL? Worried about side effects of Descovy with Lithium, and psyc drugs. My doctor has never suggested geno pheno testing for resistance with the new drug Descovy. He did though cure my Hep C with telepivir/interferion 4 years ago. Can't find anything about this on line. If you can answer this or not thank you for reading my question as it might help someone else who questions so many drugs from every class when they had shown no resistance for 13 yrs. before adding a NRTI. Thank you, Paris TX patient.R

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for posting.

It's not clear to me (on the basis of what you've written) why your doctor added Descovy to an already successful and suppressive treatment regimen.

For what it's worth, there aren't any significant drug-drug interactions between Descovy and lithium. (I suggest using ePocrates or HIV_druginteractions.org tools to verify interactions between HIV medications and other meds, vitamins, or drugs.)

It's not unreasonable to ask, particularly about performing archived resistance testing, should that help in deciphering treatment options in the current era (one can't do conventional resistance testing if your virus is currently suppressed).

By the way, it's an entirely good thing that your doctor cured your HCV infection- accomplishing this is much easier with today's meds than it was with your interferon-containing treatment.

I hope that's helpful, BY

Previous
UNTREATED HIV AND AGING
Next
Question about PreP as ART?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.