Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Drug addiction and HIV

Apr 28, 2017

My brother recently diagnosed with HIV. No one in the family has HIV so this was a shocking news. He is very much worried about the situation. The doctor said he needs to take proper medications but before that, he should stop using drugs. Since he is very much addicted to it, we are planning to take him to an addiction treatment centre in Toronto ( https://helixhealthcaregroup.com/spectrum/treatments/addiction-counseling/ ). Will there be any effect if he takes both treatments (HIV and addiction) together?

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thanks for writing. I'm sorry to hear about your brother but glad that he is engaged both in HIV care and will be addressing his substance abuse. Co-occurring HIV and substance abuse is not uncommon, and represents a risk for both becoming HIV+ in the first place and being inconsistent taking HIV medication, known as adherence, which is vital to keep the virus suppressed.

Some HIV doctors worry about starting someone on antiretroviral therapy if they have an active substance abuse problem because of inconsistent adherence, which can lead to resistance to HIV drugs. I feel that both should be addressed concurrently. Substance abuse treatment is effective but it requires commitment, patience, and a willingness to change behaviors. Treatment needs to be supplemented by outside support groups such as aa.org, NA, or SMART Recovery. More and more research is documenting the connection of social connection to recovery from substances.

I would also suggest that his care for both these conditions be coordinated with all providers. For example, sometimes these "specialties" offer treatments that are counterproductive. For example, I see many HIV clients who are prescribed benzodiazepines (antianxiety medications) which are highly addictive.

Best wishes to all your family, David

Previous
Oatmeal with a side of Triumeq
Next
decide

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.