Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

two and half months down the line

Oct 9, 2016

thanks fo reading my mail. am a man aged 36. i recently contracted hiv and tested positive after only 2and half months.

my worry is now when to start treatment. what are my options. i have two sons to look after.

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for posting.

In the United States and over 20 other countries around the world, HIV treatment is recommended for all people living with the virus, independent of your CD4 count or symptoms. Treatment has been shown to be both very well tolerated, and prevents death, serious illness (like cancer and TB) and prevention of AIDS complications.

All currently recommended treatments involve three medications, often combined into a single pill. Recommendations vary somewhat from country to country, but in the US and Western Europe, most people are now initiating treatment with 2 nukes and an integrase inhibitor; in low- and middle income countries, most people initiate treatment with 2 nukes and a non-nuke (usually Atripla or one of it's generic counterparts).

Taken with good adherence, meds work extremely well, rarely fail and allow both normal life span and make it extremely difficult to pass the virus to others. I'd expect you to watch your sons grown into young men and beyond.

I hope that is helpful, BY

Previous
can arvs mixed with any other treatment?
Next
Viral load

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.