Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Variable timing

Sep 17, 2016

Hello, Dr. Young. I have read you saying that HIV meds don't need to be taken at precisely the same time every day. But I am a little confused about the timing extension. How late can I permit myself to be? How long can a delay be? I'm on TDF+EFV+3TC. And I take them at bed time. Some nights at 1Opm, other nights at 11pm and on weekends at about 5am. Is that ok? Or might resistance occur because of this frequent variation of time? Tks for your always wonderful support.

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for posting.

You're right- HIV medications do not have to be taken at precisely the same time every day.

Generally, it's better for adherence sake to take them in the same part of the day (e.g., evening or morning). Certainly the difference between 10 and 11 PM is of no consequence. A regularly scheduled 6 hour shift from 1100 to 0500 is larger than most would usually recommend, but not likely to be a problem either. Nonetheless, this situation points out exactly one of the reasons why efavirenz is fading from popularity (and guidelines) in the US and elsewhere- as it's only efavirenz that requires bedtime dosing.

If this is the reason why you're shifting your weekend dosing time, maybe it's time to discuss modern time of day-independent medications with your care provider.

Be well, BY

Previous
If hiv is curable in India
Next
sgpt and sgot

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.