Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Eliminating Tenofovir from my regimen?

Hello Dr. Young, My Doctor thinks that it might be okay to change my regimen from Atripla to only sustiva and emtriva since I have been undetectable for 7 years and have a current CD4 of about 1800 (42%). He is concerned about the long term side effects of the tenofovir. Can you give me your opinion on this. I am 66 and in generally good health without much side effects of the Atripla. Are there liver/bone/kidney issues that we should look at before making a change in the regimen? Also is there a possibility of drug resistance developing by dropping the Tenofovir. I think this is a new slant on regimens but would like your opinion.

Hello and thanks for posting.

I would respectfully disagree with your doctor. While there are some quite exciting early phase data on the two drug regimen of lamivudine (3TC) with dolutegravir (Tivicay), two drug therapy is still largely an experimental strategy and should only be reserved for clinical trials (and that, with either boosted protease- or integrase-inhibitor-based treatment) or for very special cases.

In your situation, I would not recommend discontinuing tenofovir, but rather take a good look at your kidney, bone (and liver) health, and assess if there are any active issues. Also, there are several very well tolerated, recommended and well-studied three drug regimens, including those that don't use the tenofovir DF medication in Atripla (like Genvoya or Triumeq) and should lessen the risk of these organs getting injured.

Hope that's helpful, BY

Treatment and Kaposi Sarcoma
Genvoya Missed Dose of 5 days