HIV & Autism

Hi, I found out I was HIV positive when I was pregnant. I immediately began medication. Now my son is 4 and has been recently diagnosed with autism. I have been told hiv and the hiv medications mostly likely caused this or greatly contributed to it. Is there any truth to this?

Hello and thanks for posting.

There is no credible or reported association between HIV or HIV medicines and autism. A quick search of the National Library of Medicine ( Pubmed, the single most reliable source of medical publications) on the terms HIV and autism picks up a few random hits, but nothing that would comprise even a suggestion of relationship.

So, in my opinion, and that of the published literature is that neither HIV, HIV medications nor vaccines cause autism.

BY

Can I Take Raltegravir once a Day ?
Jet lag, surgery, and the immune system