I have 9 cd4 count

I haven't started at ARV but my cd4 count is 9, what will happen when I start? The doctor recommended that i should start it soon, i dont have medical aid.

Hello and thank you for posting.

A CD4 count of 9 is very low- AIDS is defined when the CD4 count (normally above 350) is less than 200.

You indeed should start therapy as soon as possible, and also start medications to prevent certain serious infections (trimethoprim sulfa to prevent pneumocystis) and vaccination to prevent bacterial pneumonia.

HIV medications are usually very well tolerated, and currently recommended medications in the US are extremely so. When you start, you should work to be as adherent as possible and stay in contact with your care provider about any side effects and monitoring plans.

For more information, I'd suggest scanning TheBody.com's Resource Center on Staring HIV Treatment.

Be well, BY

Cure for AIDS within 10 years?
ARVs without Bactrim