Lovaza and ASA DO interact

Dr. Young -- I wrote to you on February 2, 2016. Your answer was incorrect -- ASA and Loavaza DO have a moderate interaction. (I knew this to be the case, and my question did not ask if there was an interaction.) I realize that nobody knows everything, and sent you some links to pharmaceutical journals to be helpful.

I am hoping it is just an oversight that you have neither corrected this posting nor posted a follow-up which actually answers my questions.

For another link to the ASA Lovaza drug interaction, see: http://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/aspirin-with-lovaza-243-0-1749-2517.html

------------------------

Original post:

Dr. Young -- I am a 50 y.o. male on Lovaza 2g bid for elevated triglycerides secondary to HAART.

1. What is Lovaza's mechanism of action as a blood thinner? 2. What are the recommendations re: taking ASA 81mg qD when also on Lovaza?

Thank you for your help.

Hello and thanks for posting.

1) Lovaza (omega 3 oil) is not a blood thinner, it's a treatment for elevated triglycerides.

2) There's no interaction between Lovaza and aspirin (ASA). The later is indicated for people at risk of cardiovascular disease.

Hello and thanks for posting again.

I stand by my original post.

While the drugs.com points out that one shouldn't just start on medications without appropriate indications; and recent data suggests that Omega 3's might not have the desired effects on cardiovascular disease reduction, here are concurrent recommendations from the American Heart Association Guidelines.

"For all patients, it may be reasonable to recommend omega-3 fatty acids from fish or fish oil capsules (1 g/d) for cardiovascular disease risk reduction."

"Aspirin 75162 mg daily is recommended in all patients with coronary artery disease unless contraindicated."

It's this later clause in the aspirin recommendation that's relevant (and parsimonious with the drugs.com warning)- if you have bleeding risks, one shouldn't take aspirin.

Hope that's helpful, BY

Going crazy
Creatinine leave increasing