Baby Aspirin and aging with HIV

Hello dear Dr. Young and happy holidays!!

Any updates regarding the use of daily baby-aspirin in us poz 50 yo or older? I am talking about its use for the sole purpose of reducing the risk of deep venous thrombosis, myocardial infraction or stroke, even in the absence of any other known cardiovascular risks? No one seems to agree on its use, although to me it makes sense that it would be beneficial in this age group. Thank you very much. John

Hello John and thanks for posting.

There actually is agreement. The general recommendations for the general population apply to people living with HIV.

The US Preventive Services Task Force US Preventive Services Task Force recommends that all men aged 45-79 or women aged 55-79 take low-dose (aka "baby") aspirin "when the potential benefit due to a reduction in myocardial infarctions outweighs the potential harm due to an increase in gastrointestinal hemorrhage."

The USPSTF "recommends against the use of aspirin for stroke prevention in women younger than 55 years and for myocardial infarction prevention in men younger than 45 years."

Hope that's helpful, BY

I was recently diagnosed
PrEP use for shorter periods