HIV+ 15 years, Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm, Prolapsed Heart Valve

I have been positive for fifteen years. I'm on medication, cd4 in the 800 range, undetectable viral load. Recently found out I have a 'Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm and a 'severe' focal prolapse of the posterior mitral leaflet. I'm told I can continue to do my yoga, walking and swimming. No weightlifting. I won't know if an operation will happen asap or with a wait and check every 6 months. Let's say, I have to return for a check every 6 months. How to I proceed with my life? I use to do yoga for 60 minutes, walk for 3 miles or swim 36 laps. Now, I find, I do one of these and if I do both in a day, I'm worn out and can't do much the next day. I'm in my mid 50s. I'd like to travel, drive, across the USA, etc. Simply, don't know how to proceed, but to answer my own question, proceed as I would normally. Besides the hiv meds, I take a low dose ace inhibitor, cholesterol is below normal and I'm not on statins. I do not eat fast food, either vegan base or pasture raised type animal food chain. Allergic to seafood.

Hello and thanks for posting.

Sorry to hear about your cardiovascular health- aortic aneurysms are no laughing matter and should be taken very seriously.

The issue about surgical intervention depends a lot on the location and severity of the aneurysm. On this one, I'd rely on your doctor's advice about monitoring and surgery, make sure your blood pressure is well controlled.

Speak to them about your life goals about travel, and exercise- let that conversation inform the best path forward.

Best of health to you; feel free to write back. BY

Hospital doesn't have my HIV meds
Medicare and HIV medications