Donating Body for Research

Is it still true that institutions do not accept a donated cadaver if the person has had HIV? I would like to donate my body a teaching hospital for research/science/education when I die, but have been told this is not an option because I have HIV. It seems that any HIV would die along with the tissue - especially when well-controlled with medications. Thanks for your help and for all you do to keep our community healthy, happy, and educated about our health!

Hello and thanks for posting.

I'm not aware of any current policies that would prohibit the donation of one's body to a medical institution for study.

The issue though is going to be very institution dependent. If you're interested in donating your body after your death, hat tip to you. Too few people do this. I'd suggest asking your local medical university how to go about this, and if being positive affects donation. Let us know what you find out.

Be well, BY

syphilis
10 Years Without Treatment