ecstasy and meds

dear doc,

i realize it's irresponsible to consider, but i've occasionally used the party drug ecstasy and enjoyed it, the last time was new years.

i've since started taking nevirapine and combivir with no side effects. i am in a study, as well, which may include remune (or not)after eight weeks. can i still take ecstasy or does anyone know. i don't have any immediate plans but am planning a vacation where the option to do so is appealing.

i'm also aware of the basic restrictions with viagra, but any with the above meds i'm taking?

thanks s

Response from Dr. Aberg

This is an incredibly important question and I am really glad you asked!!!

Ecstacy is metabolized by the same pathway as many of the HIV meds including nevirapine. When ecstacy is taken with HIV medications particularly ritonavir (Norvir) or nelfinavir (Viracept), the amount of ecstacy in your body can increase by 2-3 times. In fact, it can even increase by more than 10 times when taken with ritonavir. This can be extremely dangerous. There has been at least one report directly related to someone taking ritonavir with ecstacy and this person died!

Increased ecstacy is like having an overdose of ecstacy. Your blood pressure can go way high and then you have convulsions (seizures) and then your heart can stop working and you die.

I guess you figured out what my opinion is. Think about the consequences. You may have enjoyed ecstacy in the past but is it worth dying for??? Enjoy your vacation but really try to find other ways to have a good time. Don't take ecstacy.

combivir and stocrin SWITCH?
HIV Cure ?