Sie, I am from india and diagnosed and started ART with Duovir-N at that time CD4 was 47 in Nov 2010.In june 2014 CD4 was 353 and 15% then in Feb 2015 CD4 decline to 321 and 14%. In July 2015 CD4 is 521 and %15.65 and viral load is 70 is these are ok or medicine are not working.Pse help me out Regards

Hello and thanks for posting from India.

CD4 count values fluctuate widely and it can be difficult to track trends. Noting that, your has risen from a very low 47 to a much higher ~500. Your percentages remain lower than normal, and slow recovery is often the case when one starts ART with advanced disease.

Overall, the most important lab value is your viral load- this test trumps CD4 in determining whether your medications are working or not. While the goal is an undetectable level, many insignificant things can cause your viral load to have a very low detectable results (like your 70)- these include lab error, minor infection (like a herpes outbreak or sinus infection) or recent vaccination. So long as the value is below 500, I tend not to be concerned; and would conclude that your medications are working fine.

Hope that's helpful, BY

HIV Positive Father & HIV negative mother