Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Discussing your status with your teenager.

May 25, 2015

I have a child that is not quite a teen yet and she knows what HIV is. I have been going through a lot of health issues and has asked out of curiosity. When is a good time and a good way to have this discussion with your child?

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for posting your important question.

WebMD has an excellent article on this subject. I agree with their recommendations, especially that it's important to have supportive discussions around sexual health and HIV before children become sexually active. From the article: (1) Talking with children about HIV and AIDS increases the chances of delaying sex and protects against risky behavior. (2) Talking about HIV and AIDS decreases the chances of unprotected sex. If the use of condoms is discussed before teens have sex, they are three times more likely to use condoms later on.

AIDSMap also has an excellent resource.

As this sometimes difficult discussion pertains to her mother and your status, this becomes all the more important, and an opportunity to have a discussion in the loving context of family. I'd suggest having the discussion oriented around your health, to (assuming your in care and on treatment) reassure her that HIV won't affect your long-term health, perhaps even to discuss issues of stigma (addressing things that she may have heard from others), or her concerns about transmission.

Hope that helps, BY

Previous
Is DHEA Supplementation Helpful for People With HIV? (Editor's Pick)
Next
Super-Low CD4 Count: Are HIV Meds Enough? (Editor's Pick)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.