Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can I Comfortably Breastfeed My Baby without Transmitting HIV
Apr 29, 2015

i tested positive to HIV two years ago and was not placed on ARV until i was pregnant (PMTCT). my daughter is negative and i did not breastfeed her. now am pregnant again i would want to breastfeed this baby. what are my chances of not transmitting the virus to my baby.

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for posting.

Comfortable is in the eye (treatment and land) of the beholder. The most important thing you can do to prevent HIV transmission to your baby is to be on treatment and adherent. An undetectable viral load means that it's very, very unlikely that you'll transmit HIV, either during birth or by breastfeeding.

If you live in the US (as I do), breastfeeding is not recommended by national guidelines.

Outside of the US, and particularly in low income countries in Africa, breastfeeding by HIV+ moms is occasionally recommended- this is because the risk of HIV is outweighed by the risk of other infantile illnesses (such as diarrheal disease) that are prevented by antibodies in the mother's milk. Here's a link to a useful overview on HIV and breastfeeding.

Hope that's helpful, BY

Previous
change in meds
Next
Relocation from NorthEast to Tampa, how to find Doctors

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.