Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

VIRULENT STRAIN OF HIV IN CUBA

Dear Ben,

I read a recent article on a virulent strain of HIV which was discovered in CUBA which led to many cases of HIV sufferers getting AIDS just within 2-3 years after infection.

My concern is could this virulent strain be the result of evolution or was the rapid progress due to rampant drug addiction happening in CUBA. Could AIDS progress faster due to drug addiction? I believe so...so I think we shouldnt blame it on a virulent strain. Drug addiction/abuse is one of the main reason for this rapid progress to AIDS.

As an AIDS sufferer myself who has recovered and now running normal and healthy life, I refused to believe that HIV is the sole cause of deteriorating health. If a person take care of his health, eat and drink well and exercise, his health will be better than even HIV negative counterparts. Its all about the attitude and living life positively.

I can swear that my health now is much better than 5 years ago before I was diagnosed with AIDS 2 years ago with a CD4 of just 7 and suffering from advanced KS. I got less problems of constipation, diarrhea, fever etc and now for the past 1 year, I havent got a flu or fever. The cure is, other than ARV medication, is the positive attitude.

Hello and thanks for posting.

This is an interesting paper from a high quality group, but there's a lot of media hype on this report.

All of this makes for good sound bites ("New Aggressive Form of HIV Discovered..."(ie., scary); "Cuba.... (oh bad, really scary, communists)), but in the end, there's no evidence that the strain isn't susceptible to conventional ART (as has largely been the case with all of these stories). If people infected with this strain are treated, there's little risk.

Until there's a cure, HIV medications are safe, well tolerated and prevent illness and new infections.

Test, treat. Everyone. Everywhere. Everything else is secondary (and perhaps irrelevant).

BY

Amoxicillin and PEP
stribild and sex