Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

VIRULENT STRAIN OF HIV IN CUBA
Feb 17, 2015

Dear Ben,

I read a recent article on a virulent strain of HIV which was discovered in CUBA which led to many cases of HIV sufferers getting AIDS just within 2-3 years after infection.

My concern is could this virulent strain be the result of evolution or was the rapid progress due to rampant drug addiction happening in CUBA. Could AIDS progress faster due to drug addiction? I believe so...so I think we shouldnt blame it on a virulent strain. Drug addiction/abuse is one of the main reason for this rapid progress to AIDS.

As an AIDS sufferer myself who has recovered and now running normal and healthy life, I refused to believe that HIV is the sole cause of deteriorating health. If a person take care of his health, eat and drink well and exercise, his health will be better than even HIV negative counterparts. Its all about the attitude and living life positively.

I can swear that my health now is much better than 5 years ago before I was diagnosed with AIDS 2 years ago with a CD4 of just 7 and suffering from advanced KS. I got less problems of constipation, diarrhea, fever etc and now for the past 1 year, I havent got a flu or fever. The cure is, other than ARV medication, is the positive attitude.

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for posting.

This is an interesting paper from a high quality group, but there's a lot of media hype on this report.

All of this makes for good sound bites ("New Aggressive Form of HIV Discovered..."(ie., scary); "Cuba.... (oh bad, really scary, communists)), but in the end, there's no evidence that the strain isn't susceptible to conventional ART (as has largely been the case with all of these stories). If people infected with this strain are treated, there's little risk.

Until there's a cure, HIV medications are safe, well tolerated and prevent illness and new infections.

Test, treat. Everyone. Everywhere. Everything else is secondary (and perhaps irrelevant).

BY

Previous
Amoxicillin and PEP
Next
stribild and sex

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.