CD4 count 75

Hello doctor. I am a 23 old guy and I took twice positive result from ELISA test. Western Blot test was positive and I tested CD4 cells and Viral Load immediately. My test results:

Total CD4: 75/mm3, Total CD8: 616mm3 and Viral Load: 59.642

Yes, I am HIV infected person but my doctor gave me Bactrim Forte, Triflucan 100mg and Azro 500mg. These medicines are not based on HIV enfection. She said that I will give HIV meds after my resistance test. Is it right strategy to increase my CD4 count? What is your suggestion?

Thanks

Hello and thanks for posting.

Sorry to learn of your recent diagnosis, especially with such a low CD4 cell count.

The three medications that you're taking are antibiotics. The Bactrim and Azro (azithromycin) are to prevent infections (PCP and MAC) and the fluconazole is usually used to treat Candida infections (like thrush). It's typical to await the results of the resistance test before initiating antiretrovirals (ART), but given your low CD4, these medications should be started promptly thereafter. It is the ART that will lower HIV levels to below detectable, usually in ~3-6 months, and allow your immune system and CD4 cell count to recover.

I hope that's helpful and wish you good health, BY

medication issues
Viread and Kidney.