Tribuss and marijuana interactions

Hello Dr yesterday I did a regrettable decision, after taking my hiv medication (tribuss) I smoked marijuana though I smoked very little I am afraid that it may negatively affect me and my treatment effectiveness. Should I be concerned? I smoked it little over 30minutes after taking my tribuss pill before sleeping. I am an occasional smoker, maybe once every two months, is it bad...?

Hello and thanks for posting.

There are no significant negative interactions between the medications in Tribuss (Atripla; tenofovir, FTC and efavirenz) and marijuana. Indeed, here in Colorado, marijuana is legal, and there are quite a few patients who take HIV medications and use marijuana (either for medical or recreational reasons). The occasional use of marijuana that you've described should have few, if any medical consequences, though I tend to recommend that individuals ingest (rather than smoke) marijuana- this is based on the general notion that inhaling smoke and tar is probably not the ideal thing for lung health.

Be well, BY

On HART, got the flu, Dr prescribed Tamiflu
missed meds