Will She get infected

Good Day. I have been on the treatment for a year now and my girlfriend really wants a baby, she is HIV negative. is it possible with out infecting her?

Hello and thanks for posting.

Yes, it's entirely possible to conceive a child with your girlfriend and not transmit HIV. There are a few ways that this has been approached, knowing that even unprotected sex off of treatment doesn't result in HIV infection 100% of the time.

In the past, sperm washing was done to eliminate HIV from the semen, then in vitro fertilization was performed. This worked, but was quite expensive.

Now, with the knowledge that if you're on treatment and have an undetectable viral load, the risk of transmission is very, very low- probably negligible. Additionally, the option to put your GF on pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) can further reduce the risk of HIV infection during condomless sex.

I'd suggest speaking to your care provider about which options make the most sense for you.

Best of health, BY

TAF
interaction