Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Esophageal cancer or GERD

Nov 19, 2014

Hello Dr, shortly after my hiv diagnosis I have experienced strange health issues, although all quite mild but concerning. It started with a pain as as swallowed food/water, the pain was located inbetween my chest. I told my Dr but he dismissed it. The pain cleared for a week and a couple of days, without treatment. After 5 days of taking tribuss I experienced pain just under right ribcage near to my breast (im male). It pained there as food/liquid passes down into stomach. I went to the doc a day after it started he gave me Adco-rozal and its been 5days since, i take 1pill a day and the pain is still there? But it isn't excruciating and I do manage to eat/drink water although I feel it every time I swallow. No pain when i breath deeply, no coughs, hoarse voice, and sometimes when i lay on my right side I feel it but it passes quickly? I am a non-smoker, non-drinker and only 23. Im scared it could be Esophageal cancer/GERD. My liver tests Alt= H 59 <50 Ast= 35<38 I am concerned now, i also eat high fat foods but have been healthy before hiv diagnosis. My dr seems to think I am paranoid due to my hiv. Please advice, could my symptoms indicate acute esophageal/GERD cancer? My next Dr appointment is 22 November.

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for posting.

First, I'd doubt that you have esophageal cancer. Second, your symptoms could be a variety of things- ranging from reflux (GERD) or esophagitis (there are multiple caues of this). The list of possibilities depends on how low your CD4 count is.

I'd suggest having a thoughtful conversation with your doctor about your symptoms and concerns.

BY

Previous
re: esophageal cancer (from 11/12)
Next
What now ?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.