Should i start hcv treatment?

doctor young , i recently started my HIV treatment as i was diagnosed with a 55 cd4 count , but also found that there is HCV coinfection , although hcv VL is low 966 , im thinking of starting treatment ( sovaldi , ribavirin , interferon ) , would that be recomended now? Or should i wait till my Cd4 count rises?

Hello and thanks for posting.

There have been huge advances in HCV treatment in the past years. HCV should be curable, and soon, with treatments that are all oral (ie., avoid the use of side-effect prone, injectable interferon). The decision to treat HCV immediately must factor in this aspect, as well as the health of your liver currently. There are a number of tools, like the APRI that are used to see if you're at risk for liver fibrosis (and short term risk of liver problems). If the risk is great, then the need to start treatment is more urgent.

Given your very low CD4 count, if your liver health is otherwise good, it might be reasonable to wait a little bit to treat the HCV, especially since well tolerated, curative, all-oral treatments should be available to you in the near future.

I hope that's helpful, BY

Therapy to start or not
Anti HAV igM