Receiving blood transfusion in US

Hi, under drastic circumstances, I was advised to have a blood transfusion in Los Angeles due to extreme low red blood count. I have been diagnosed hiv+ In Thailand in June 2013 and prescribed with Atripla with great success since then. My latest cd4 test in September 2014 showed good increase in my cd4 level and my viral load is undetectable. Do I need to declare my hiv+status to the doctor here if I have to get a blood transfusion? My family is not aware of my hiv+ status and I am DESPERATE to keep it that way. Please advise, I don't who to turn to. Eternally grateful, Ben

Hello and thanks for posting.

While no one will force you to disclose your HIV status, I strongly recommend that people living with HIV do disclose to their medical providers.

So much of your health may be impacted by HIV or its treatments, so it's critical that healthcare providers understand these situations in order to most expeditiously find the cause of problems and their appropriate treatments. If you have anemia so severe that you need a blood transfusion, it would be of critical importance that your providers know about your HIV and medications.

Here in the US, your medical information (including HIV status) is protected by law- and cannot be provided to anyone without your expressed permission.

I hope that this is helpful, BY

Ebola + HIV in West Africa: Double Whammy?
viral load 1035 after 10 years undetectable