The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Receiving blood transfusion in US
Nov 9, 2014

Hi, under drastic circumstances, I was advised to have a blood transfusion in Los Angeles due to extreme low red blood count. I have been diagnosed hiv+ In Thailand in June 2013 and prescribed with Atripla with great success since then. My latest cd4 test in September 2014 showed good increase in my cd4 level and my viral load is undetectable. Do I need to declare my hiv+status to the doctor here if I have to get a blood transfusion? My family is not aware of my hiv+ status and I am DESPERATE to keep it that way. Please advise, I don't who to turn to. Eternally grateful, Ben

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for posting.

While no one will force you to disclose your HIV status, I strongly recommend that people living with HIV do disclose to their medical providers.

So much of your health may be impacted by HIV or its treatments, so it's critical that healthcare providers understand these situations in order to most expeditiously find the cause of problems and their appropriate treatments. If you have anemia so severe that you need a blood transfusion, it would be of critical importance that your providers know about your HIV and medications.

Here in the US, your medical information (including HIV status) is protected by law- and cannot be provided to anyone without your expressed permission.

I hope that this is helpful, BY

Ebola + HIV in West Africa: Double Whammy?
viral load 1035 after 10 years undetectable

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint