Is there a point in preserving contaminated cord blood sample

Hi, A sample of cord blood taken during the birth of our daughter was found to be contaminated with the following bacteria: Enterococcus faecalis and Staphylococcus epidermidis. Can a contaminated sample be used after some treatment with antibiotics or some other method? Has a contaminated cord blood ever been used successfully in the past? Is there any point in keeping the sample? (The implication of keeping the sample is a substantial cost). Will be grateful for any knowledge based insight.

Hello and thanks for posting.

I should start by saying that I'm no expert in cord blood use, but as an infectious disease doctor, I'd be inclined to say that the specimen probably would not be usable because of the bacterial contamination (if confirmed).

I know of no situation where infected cord blood has been used or treated, but given the effort and unique opportunity to obtain the sample, it's worth speaking to your cord blood team before deciding.

Let us know what happens, and be well, BY

TENVIR EM + RALTEGRAVEER
2nd question