Norvir and Nocturia

Hi Doctor. I am 52 years old and was Diagnosed Poz four years ago. My first treatment that I used for 3 yrs was Norvir, Prezista and Truvada. Side efeect from the first day was nocturia. cholesterol also increased to 220 and I gained 20 pounds. I changed 4 month ago to stribild, keep undetectable and cd4 over 700 (45%). Cholesterol went down to 190 and I could lost 5 pounds. I was looking to see if I can recover from waking at nigth to urinate, but this is still a problem going twice to the bath around 2 am and 4 am, this make me feel exhausted in the morning. The urologist found some level of obstruction (prostate weighed 38) and recommed for the BPH any one of this treatmen TUNA or urolift but cant guarantee the nocturia will improve. I am using cardura and it works during the day but it does not help too much at night. Any change in my meds that can help me to avoid nocturia? Thanks.

Hello and thanks for posting.

There's no association between ritonavir (Norvir) or Stribild and nocturia. It's conceivable that there could be a drug-drug (or supplement) interaction that increases urinary retention or BPH.

Since BPH and nocturia are common symptoms among otherwise healthy middle-aged men, it would seem quite possible that this is not related to HIV or your medications, but rather an age-related problem.

Good luck, BY

Is my son's virus back?
PEP timelines