When can i start treatment for hiv+

Hi, recently i was infected with HIV+. My CD4 count is 850 and viral load is 500. Can u please suggest me when can i start treatment.

Thanking you, Kamal

Hello and thanks for posting.

The answer depends a little on where you live- here in the US (and several other countries, including Brazil), HIV medications are offered to everyone, independent of CD4 cell count or viral load. The World Health Organization (WHO) guidelines (that impact many countries medication starts) recommends treatment for many people living with HIV- those with CD4s below 500, people in magnetic sexual relationships, pregnant women, and so on. Importantly, today's first-line treatments are very well tolerated, safe and prevent both disease to you and viral transmission to others.

Your CD4 count is in the normal range and your viral load is quite low. That low viral load predicts that your disease progression will be considerably slower than average. There's no urgency in starting medications, but if you were my patient here in the US, I'd still offer you treatment.

Hope that's helpful, BY

vdrl trite reading
missed 3 days oy meds