Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Time for a change?

Hi Doc,

I just passed my one year anniversary and have been on atripla since Dx. I started at a 62k VL and become UD in 3 months, I have maintained that status since. My CD4 started at 305 and increased to 449, 518, 620 and my most recent 510, my % started at 18 then 21.5,25.9,31 and lastly 34. I know from what I have read that we have some newer meds out, I don't think I have any resistance to any. Is it time for a change? Everything I have read says the newer protease inhibitors are the latest and greatest and have significantly outperformed atripla.

I am also a little set back that my cd4 have dropped off, even though my percentage keeps climbing.

What do u think. Also, I know the cd4 changes, just freaking me out a bit because I have never missed a dose and had no known sickness during my last lab draw, I have always had it done at the same time and yet I have dropped in cd4 s. I do well overall on atripla just get very tired after taking it Prob cause I take it at the same time every night regardless of when I ate.

Hello and thanks for posting.

There's no critical need to switch from a well tolerated, and virologically successful regimen- as yours appears to be.

Your CD4 percentages are rising and your absolute counts have been above 500 for some time- people like you shouldn't stress about CD4 counts. Your counts are normal. Period.

As for newer medications, it's not the protease inhibitors, but rather integrase inhibitor-based treatments that have shown superiority to older regimens. Their main advantage has been tolerability and side effects.

You mention that you're growing tired of Atripla- is there a particular reason? Are you having subtle side effects, or just tired of pills. If it's the former, a switch might help, if it's the later, a switch probably won't help things.

Hope that helps and feel free to write back. BY

Start fo medication
Correct pep medication, 72 hour window closing?