Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Stopping HIV Medications

I know that stopping HIV medication is not recommended and will cause the virus to rebound; however, I will not have access to meds after September. Therefore, I will have no choice but to stop.

I hope to move to an area where I will have access to meds in the future, so I would like to stops my medications in a way that is least likely to cause drug resistance.

I am currently taking Stribild. With this combo pill, is it best to just stop when I run out, or should I reduce the dosage (e.g. take a half pill) for a period of time?

Thank you.

Hello and thanks for posting. Sorry for the late response.

While stopping medications isn't the best situation, stopping for a brief period (preferably continue to get clinical and lab monitoring) isn't the worse thing. Since Stribild is a single tablet regimen, should you have to stop, all of the medications will be stopped at the same time; precisely the way to minimize the risk of developing drug resistance.

The one thing that you should definitely NOT do is split the pills in half- taking half the dose means that you will only have half of the needed concentration of drug in your blood- risking the use of Stribild and many other good drugs in the future.

I hope that's helpful. BY

Stribild to Triumeq?
HIV confusion