vaccine issues

Hello Doctor, thank you in advance for your help. In May '13 I was diagnosed with PCP therefore AIDS with a CD4 of 4. Year plus later I am doing OK and am enjoying being a grandmother. In July this year my CD4 had crawled up to 74. My question is, my grandson will get his first round of vaccines next week. Do I need to be worried about his sloughing viruses? I am pretty sure I either had or was vaccinated for everything kids are currently vaccinated for, but wanted to check. Thanks

Hello and thanks for posting your important question.

With flu season around the corner, it's important for people living with HIV- especially those with lower CD4 cell counts (below 200 for this discussion) to know that they should avoid being in close contact (such as routine household contact) with people who receive live virus vaccinations. These include MMR and the FluMist influenza vaccination. The issue isn't whether you were vaccinated in the past, the issue is your current CD4 count and very low, but possible risk of getting infected with the vaccine strain when your immune system is weakened.

Here's hoping that your CD4s keep crawling- perhaps sooner and faster than your grandson. BY

Question on the article
Changing my medication