Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

on the same medication

I have been on the same medication for years 8 to 10. It is working, T cells in 600's and viral load undetectable, my question is do I stay on something that is working and wait until it does not or try other drugs...

Hello and thanks for posting.

Ain't broke, don't fix? Quite possibly. If you've been on a successful regimen for 10 years and have an undetectable viral load and normal CD4 count, there's no immediate need for a change. Nor is there any great likelihood that you'll suddenly have a new side effect or toxicity.

That said, it's always a good idea to know what current recommendations are about medications, and what the newest medication options might be. For example, we no have two once-daily, single tablet integrase inhibitor-based treatments (Stribild and Triumeq)- these and a twice daily Isentress regimen have shown statistical superiority to other standard regimens- mostly on the basis of being better tolerated. These might offer improved tolerability versus your current regimen, decreased food or time of day dosing requirements.

Should these attributes significantly improve your medication taking, or the impact that your meds cause on your daily activities, it might be worth asking your care provider if it's reasonable or appropriate to switch.

Hope that helps, BY

Cause of low WBC, Bactrim?
Tribuss interaction with vitamin C and Garlic