lipohyperdystrophy

Hello Dr Young. I am 62, have been on HAART for years, and have developed a massive gut. I have done some reading up on Egrifta injections but that does not to be the best option. Any ideas? I do not smoke tobacco, nor do I drink alcohol. Thank you!

Hello and thanks for posting.

The first question is whether your "massive gut" is due to lipodystrophy or simple obesity. Lipo is characterized by fat deposits below the muscle layer, whereas obesity is fat accumulation below the skin. The later you can pinch, the former you can't. Both conditions are not uncommon in HIV-infected populations.

If you have lipodystrophy (lipoaccumulation), Egrifta could be helpful. In clinical studies, people who used Egrifta resulted in clinical improvement and about a 15% reduction in gut fat. The medication is a twice-daily injection and this can be objectionable for some patients; and the fat reduction reverses when the medication is stopped.

On the other hand, if you have fat accumulation related to usual obesity, I'd suggest speaking to your care provider about other possible contributing causes (like thyroid problems or low testosterone), having a nutrition and exercise evaluation.

Hope that's a helpful start. BY

Stable, healthy CD4. Will Truvada alone suppress vl of 2500?
hiv search