Injectable Therapy and Lymes Disease

Dr. Young you recently answered a question and told the person that injectable HIV therapy was in the pipeline (two drugs in phase 2 or something around those lines).

I was wondering if you could mention what company(ies) are developing these and the names of the products as I and I am sure others would love to know more about these possible once or every other monthly therapies. (Such great news!)

Also I live in an area with a lot of ticks and unfortunately Lymes Disease. Is there any known extra complications for Lymes and HIV and or the medication that treats Lymes disease and HIV/HIV Medication?

Love your answers. Wish every hiv doctor was as knowledgeable as you!

Hello and thanks for posting your questions and kind words.

The drugs currently in development for long-term injections are rilpivirine (made by Janssen Pharmaceuticals) and an experimental integrase inhibitor called "744" (made by Viiv Healthcare). They are being studied together in a ongoing clinical trial.

As for Lyme disease, there's no known influence of HIV on the disease or its treatments. Hopefully, this won't be an issue for you-- there are many people who live with HIV in Lyme endemic areas (like New York and Connecticut).

Be well, BY

CD4% declined
Long term effects of pep