PEP after 5 days

Hello Doctor -

My condom slipped for about less than a minute while having sex with an escort. I was assured by the provider that she was HIV safe and had her tests done less than 3 wks ago. One of my friends suggested to take PEP even though my exposure was limited. Should i try to take PEP now or just take the providers word and assume that I am safe ?

Thanks in advance !

Thanks

Hello and thanks for posting.

PEP is not effective if started more than 72 hours of the HIV exposure.

Your risk is probably pretty low, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't get HIV testing- recommended at 1 and 3 months after the exposure.

BY

Cd4 constantly dropping even though Doc says I'm undetectable. I'm scared
Complera and extreme fatigue. And neuropathy?