Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Truvada + Isentress as PrEP
Jul 16, 2014

Hi Thanks for all interesting answers. I have been on PrEP since a year and I am just fine. I read that Isentress is adding a security since it does stop the viral integration. Why does not a PrEP regim include Isentress since it is recommended as PEP. I have decided to add Isentress for my PrEP regim and I dont feel any side effects.

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for posting.

Pre-exposure prophylaxis, PrEP is a very highly effective component for prevention of HIV infection. Added to our customary discussion about condoms and safer sex, PrEP adds in excess of 95% additional prevention effectiveness among adherent people.

While three drug therapy is the standard for treatment of HIV infection, pre-exposure prevention of HIV (PrEP) likely only requires 1 or 2 medications.

Large clinical trials among men who have sex with men, transgender women, heterosexuals and injection drug users show us that two drug (and perhaps, even 1 good drug) is enough to prevent HIV infection. That's good enough data for me.

While raltegravir is an exceptionally well-tolerated HIV medication (and recommended in post-exposure prophylaxis), there's little data supporting it's use in PrEP. Adding Isentress to your Truvada adds substantial cost as well as additional pills and an additional dose of medication- perhaps risking the optimal adherence that is so critical to your PrEP success.

So, all that considered, I don't think that your Isentress is a needed addition to your PrEP regimens.

Hope that helps, BY

Previous
Cure is unrealistic at this point no?
Next
On vacation and didn't pack enough meds

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.