PEP

Dear Dr I am from Malaysia. I had a vaginal sex 3 days ago with a not known person (girl) and started PEP after 60 hrs of exposure by my self. But, during the sex i used an extra safe candom (durex), But i don't know, it was broken during the sex or not, but its outward feature was good after sex. But i doubt yet. I provided Kaletra and Tenvir-em (i could not find Truvada). I am using these tables for more than 2 days with the following order: 1 Tenvir-em300/200 once a day 2 Kaletra 200/50 twice a day I am in overseas now and cannot check my blood condition by a doctor. I am very worry about the side effects of these tables. Specially for my kidney and livers and so on. I am very very worried and can not sleep about it. This is for the first time that i am using them and have heard, they are very perilous. Can i reduce these two types of tables to one type? Can i stop PEP to less than 28, for example 21 days or less? unfortunately,in Malaysia they are very expert about it, so, i had to perform it by my self.Please help me as soon as possible. Thanks David

Hello David and thanks for posting your questions about PEP.

PEP is usually well tolerated (though Kaletra can certainly cause GI side effects), and rarely causes significant toxicity over the 1 month treatment duration.

There's a wide range of recommended PEP regimens, most involve two or three medications- and some use Truvada (Tenvir-em) alone for lower risk exposures.

PEP should be taken for the full 28 days, shorter treatment has been shown in earlier studies, to be less effective.

Hope that's helpful and wish you good health. BY

2 Missed PREP Truvada doses
positive nanny