The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Newly Infected Past Age 50

Jun 29, 2014

Became HIV Poz at age 52 last year. Only chance of exposer was Feb 2013.. Got tested in Sep 2013. POZ . Great Doctor Fort Lauderdale Dr. Riganotti, started me in STRIBILD, 65000 VL to UD in 4 weeks, 146 CD4 to 259 4 weeks, 6 months later still UD , CD4 400, feel great, no other health problems.. One year on treatment will be October this year 2014. Any new studies on getting infected AFTER age if 50? I see many articles on Aging with HIV. But not much info on Contracting it after age 50.. Thank You DR. Young.. EX- Military ...

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for posting.

Sounds like you're doing great on your HIV integrase inhibitor-based regimen. There's much attention to the subject of healthy aging with HIV- indeed, once we get past the sometimes challenging issues of diagnosis, linkage/retention in medical care and access to treatment, the medical attention shifts towards the non-communicable diseases that are associated with HIV. These include mental health, cancers, cardiovascular, kidney, liver and bone diseases.

A useful resource in searching for the latest research on HIV and aging is the National Library of Medicine (or PubMed). This provides the latest in peer-reviewed publications on any topic.

For summaries on many of these disease states, check out IAPAC's

I hope that helps, and feel free to write back anytime. BY

Truvada side effect
Juice Cleanses and Effects

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint