Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Untreated, CD4 < 500, VL 1000-5000. What to do next?
Jun 24, 2014

Hello Dr Young. I've been infected for 7 years and am still not on meds. My VL has always been varying between 1000 and 5000 copies/mL. So has been also my CD4 count, which was ~450 near seroconversion, gone > 700 three months later (without treatment), and has been varying between 600 and 800 for the following couple years. Last 1-2 years a decrease has been to < 600 has been seen, then to 500 and then between 450 and 500 for the last couple of tests. Last lab results shown a VL of 2000 copies/mL and CD4 of 470. I don't have any special health issues, at least no more than before seroconversion. My doctor highly recommends me to begin treatment; I'm somewhat afraid, since I'm not sure this will boost my immune system (the VL is low anyway). Perhaps I should start an alternative treatment? Vitamins, diet, etc. I try to live a healthy life, but there are occasional and inevitable stresses. In any case, I'm afraid to commit to a lifetime meds treatment until I understand everything and sure it will help.

Please, I need your advice on this. Many thanks, Alex

Response from Dr. Young

Hello Alex and thanks for posting.

Current US (and other countries) HIV treatment guidelines no longer use CD4 count as a criterion for starting treatment. With your counts below 500, even the more conservative World Health Organization recommends treatment in low income countries.

Low viral loads are a good thing if you don't want to start treatment (and have a high CD4), but low viral loads can still be the cause of CD4 decline and immune system disease.

While HIV care is lifelong, HIV treatments are for the long run- this doesn't necessarily imply that you can never stop, or never miss a dose. Further, while old medications were definitely filled with side effects and sometimes caused serious toxicity, newer medications are a vast improvement, with rare side effects or toxicity.

With medications started before advanced disease, we're increasingly confident of normal life expectancy and an end to AIDS-related death. Vitamins and supplements have little, if any, impact on HIV disease progression in the developed world (it's different in places where serious malnutrition is a problem). If I were in your shoes, I'd be learning not about whether to start medications, but rather which medications are the best for me, my damn virus and my lifestyle.

Hope that helps, BY

Previous
atripla and extreme anxiety
Next
Complera question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.