Truvada and Isentress PEP effects

Hi Dr Young I am on day 14 of my PEP and I haven't had any real side effects other than at times it feels like my skin is "tight /burning" (though not severe at all) and I feel that in my scalp as well. I read somewhere this can cause hair to fall out//if so..is it permanent?? I'm on this for 14 more days. Are there any long term effects I should be concerned with for just 28 day treatment? can this come back and haunt me ? Thanks so much

Hello and thanks for posting.

In general, PEP with Truvada and Isentress is extremely well tolerated and causes no long-term toxicities.

Hair loss is a very rarely reported side effect of Truvada (it's not even clear if it's the cause), and should be reversible if it occurs, upon discontinuation of the medication.

Hope that helps, BY

Did I ruin my meds?!?
Stribild taken with food