Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Switch from original to generic ARV
Jun 21, 2014

Dear Ben,

Deeply sorry to disturb u again but I will be switching from original Truvada + Isentress combination to Ricovir (Mylan) + Isentress. This will cut my cost effectively by 500%

I would like to seek yr advise on the use of Ricovir as compared to Tenvir which I earlier plan to use. However the supplier has run out of supply for Tenvir and so advise me to take Ricovir instead. Meanwhile as for Isentress, I will switch to using the one manufactured from Australia but packed in India instead of manufactured from Singapore and packed in Australia. Any difference to this ?

Appreciate your feedback on this. I am just worried if these generic medicines will have severe side effects on me as I was an AIDS patient before with low CD4 and KS.

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for posting.

Generic HIV medications are usually exactly the same as their name-brand cousins. As for the brand-name Isentress, the country of manufacturer (or packing) should have no impact whatsoever on the quality or side effect profile.

Do let us know how the transition goes for you- I'm certain that many of our readers would be interested in knowing.

Be well, BY

Previous
HSV type 1 positive detected
Next
Opinion respecto se terapia radioactiva

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.