Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dr. Young, can you please help?

Jun 16, 2014

Dr. Young, I am the mother of the kid, about whom my husband was asking about a blood contamination incident that happened to my child 3 years back.

I cannot tell you what we are going through and what he is going through. He is on high dosage medications and visiting pyschiatrist and pyschologist. Nothing seems to be helping him and i strongly suspect he is on the verge of you know what i mean.

He is always worried about the child, she is always having coughs, colds, she wakes up with allergies and some other problems.

Could you please tell me one thing doctor, she was a healthy child before that incident.

After the incident i think my husband told you right, she was tested elisa negative at 6 weeks, then she tested elisa reactive, western blot negative at close to 6 months and then at 13 months she tested elisa reactive, western blot negative and PCR Quantitative undetectable. My husband at that time always used to say very high about you that you were very helpful.

Now please take the time and advise us doctor, as our family is falling apart.

Are you suspecting any other conditions or do you think the seroconversion process is taking longer. Should i test her again or for something else.

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and sorry to hear about your husband's ongoing woes.

I'm certain that after all of the testing that you and he have described that your daughter does not have HIV. Certain. HIV tests are positive within 3 months of an exposure. Testing past that point is simply a waste of time, money and emotion.

I'm sorry that he thinks that whatever symptoms your daughter may have, that he thinks that this is HIV. Unfortunate, because this incorrect focus draws needed attention away from searching for whatever might be the cause of her problems, and unfortunate, because the data that you've both shared with me is definitive.

Do not test your daughter for HIV again.

I wish your family well, BY

Previous
Should I get PEP medication - 12 more hours to decide
Next
Accidently took two doeses of Stribild

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.