HIV Exposure While on PrEP for Two Weeks - What to do

About 24 hrs ago, I (top) had a condom break with a HIV+ partner (bottom). Didn't notice until we were done, but probably 2-3 minutes of exposure. I've been on PrEP for about 15 days and take the pill every day at the same time in the morning. Should I talk to my doctor and go on full PEP and add Isentress for the 4 week period?

Thanks

Hello and thanks for posting.

If you had a second exposure during your PEP treatment, the conservative thing to do is to continue for an additional 4 weeks.

That said (and there's no data on this point), since you were already on treatment for more than 1 week (the time it takes for pre-exposure prophylaxis to become fully active), it's very conceivable that you are protected already.

I also tell my PEP patients that if you've had 2 or more possible exposures in one year, you might consider going on daily pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP). It's safe, well tolerated and very effective.

Hope that helps, BY

cocktail Efavirenz, Lamivudine and Tenofovir
Inflammation of urethra end