cocktail Efavirenz, Lamivudine and Tenofovir

Good day, Im am currently on Efavirenz 600mg, Lamivudine 300mg and Tenofovir 300mg regimen. Ive read that in your previous post that these should be ideally taken on an empty stomach. My questions are, how do you define empty stomach? How many hours should i take my regimen before or after consumption of any foods for it to be considered empty stomach? Would there be any adverse effect if i take it together with food or would it lessen its efficacy? Currently im taking my meds with foods because the side effects is that i feel like my stomach is getting acidic if i take it without any foods. Thank you.

Hello and thanks for posting.

It's recommended that efavirenz be taken on an empty stomach, but this recommendation is really only there to decrease the risk of unwanted psychological side effects. If you're tolerating your medications well, this is not important and it's then ok to take with food.

I usually instruct my patients who are having efavirenz side effects to take the medication several hours after eating.

BY

Adjustment time with meds
HIV Exposure While on PrEP for Two Weeks - What to do