Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

PEP, Other STDs, and Pregnancy
Jun 6, 2014

First and foremost, thank you for all your wonderful advice, hope, and peace of mind you provide people that are affected by HIV and AIDS. This website contains a wealth of helpful information. Im on day ten (10) of my post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP). Im heterosexual man, married to a woman, both HIV negative. We have been monogamous for a number of years. After a night of drinking, however, I had a one-night-stand with an unknown woman. Sex with this unknown woman was unprotected, vaginal intercourse. I immediately regretted my decision, not only of the risk of HIV and other STDs to me, but also because of the moral implications and because my decision could jeopardize my wifes health too. The next day went to the emergency room, not because of knowing anything specific that concerned me about this unknown woman, but more so because I made a mistake and wanted to exercise maximum precaution. From visiting the emergency room, I obtained HIV testing (negative) and other STDs testing (negative), and was given a prescription for the following: 90 days of Truvada (1/day) and Isentress (2/day), 10 days of Doxycycline (2/day), and 1 dose of Ciprofloxacin. I covered these expenses out-of-pocket, rather than using my health insurance. This 90-day-PEP prescription seemed unusual to me, however, because I thought PEP only required 28 days of taking the drugs, followed by testing at 3 months and 6 months to confirm HIV negative. The pharmacy suggested that I fill a partial-prescription on the PEP medicine. Is there any need to fill the prescription for the additional 62 days worth of Truvada and Isentress medication (it is VERY expensive)? I thought that maybe the doctor was concerned about something besides HIV, like perhaps some other STD, that requires me to continue on the Truvada and Isentress for a longer period. Do I need to take additional precautions to protect my wife from HIV and/or STIs, while I am taking the PEP medication? The dose of Ciprofloxacin was taken day one, and as of today, I have finished the Doxycycline. On a slightly different but related issue, my wife has mentioned wanting to try to have a baby in the near future. In order to be safe, will we need to wait until after the PEP and additional testing (i.e. 6 months) in order to have sex without using condoms? If she were to get pregnant either during the PEP (if that is an option) or afterwards, are there risks of side effects to the baby from me taking this medication?

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for posting.

Your research is correct. PEP is only for 28 days.

Regarding follow up testing, it's only required at 1, and 3 months after the exposure. There should be no risks of side effects of PEP if your wife should become pregnant after you complete the PEP treatment- it will be gone from your system in a few days.

Be well, BY

Previous
Re: Tivicay+Truvada
Next
IS THERE A CURE FOR HIV ON THE HORIZON??

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.